Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Make a magic dragon !

Wow, wow and double wow!

I've been behaving bizarrely for the last day. Every so often I'll stop what I'm doing, walk to my desk, close one eye and rock from side to side. No, I'm not stimming. I'm just marvelling my little dragon friend below, and how his head follows me as I move. Spooky but fascinating!


This paper dragon was made from a template available here. It is cut from a single piece of paper, and has only one part. It involves about 2 minutes of cutting and sticking.


The movement is all optical illusion, based on our brains expecting certain objects to look a certain way - like noses to point outward, not inward. It was created for the Gathering for Gardner event in 1998. Martin Gardner, born in 1914 wrote the "Mathematical Games" column in Scientific American from 1956 to 1981.

If you don't think you want to make your own, then watch the video here. After you watch the video, you probably will change your mind.

No comments: