Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Oh you cain't getta man with a booooook!

Oh yes you can..if you live in Victoria.

The State Library of Victoria is running "Text appeal" bring-a-book speed dating sessions. I can't explain it any better than the library itself:

Love is in the air at the State Library of Victoria this summer.

Text Appeal is a new take on the traditional dating formula. Each person brings a book they love, loathe or have recently read to act as a conversation starter. Jane Austen may find Patrick O’Brien, Salman Rushdie could be captivated by Zadie Smith, and JK Rowling - can take her pick. The books people bring may reveal who they are, who they aren't and perhaps who they are looking for, all in a three-minute conversation.

Text Appeal will run once a month from December 2006 to February 2007, with the final event being held on Valentine’s Day.

Time 6 Dec 2006, 17 Jan & 14 Feb 2007; 7-9.30pm
Venue Experimedia
Bookings Registration is essential. Fill in the form below, tel 03 8664 7555 or email learning@slv.vic.gov.au
Cost $20 per session - drinks, entertainment and the promise of a bookish romance included (a three-for-the-price-of-two discount applies to group bookings



Now, I'm not looking for love..but I am really nosy about other people's reactions to their reading. I'd love to take part in something like that, particlularly listening to those who just hate my favourites.

My Co-Pilot has pointed out that if I did go along, I'd probably end up with my nose in the book and ignoring the person on the other side of the table. Hmmmm...after that comment, maybe I am in the market for lurve!

2 comments:

Deanne said...

Hi Kathryn,

This is such a cool idea! I wish the State Library would do something similar here, but in a sexier building than the Alexander (unless the meeting space is the glass lift, I like the glass lift!).

Would the Co-Pilot notice if you made a quick trip to Melbourne, say, around mid-February? What are the chances of an interstate speed date going anywhere, really? And if he's right, the chances are even smaller!

Hope you and your family have a fun time over Christmas and the New Year!

Dee

Kathryn Greenhill said...

Hmmm...I am actually flying to Canberra for a week on the 14th Feb. Wonder if anyone would notice if I diverted to Melbourne?

I'm afraid he is right...even worse, I'd probably see something I haven't already read at someone else's table and end up with my nose in THAT book - thereby upsetting not only my date, but two others also.

Best Christmas wishes to you and yours.