Sunday, November 05, 2006

Librarian bundles for philosophy scholars.

My last post discusses how some clever librarians are using web tools to bundle useful resources to clients. Here's an example of how a philosophy subject librarian could use them.

1. SEARCH BOX FOR MURDOCH UNIVERSITY PHILOSOPHY OPEN ACCESS RESOURCES.

The search box below uses google to make a single search of these resources. (Try it - it's a real one and works)




HOW TO: follow the steps at Google Co-Op searches. (I added the banana on wheels image just to play around with adding a logo).

2. BUTTON TO ADD ABOVE SEARCH BOX TO IE7 BROWSER TOOLBAR'S LIST OF SEARCH ENGINES

If you click this buttonreferral link you'll see a page with a clickable button. Click it to add the search box above as a "search provider" in your Internet Explorer 7 toolbar.

HOW TO: follow the steps at Innovate

3. STARTER BUNDLE OF USEFUL RSS FEEDS FOR PHILOSOPHERS
Some useful blogs for philosophy scholars are:
Epistememlinks list of blogs
Conscious Entities
Pain for philosophers
Philosophy of friendship

I've been playing with OPMLManager.com, but didn't quite get it together to create an OPML file for importing into an RSS aggregator, but I'm sure you get the idea.

HOW TO: Follow the pointers from What I learned today.

Thanks to CM for sparking my interest in this one.

3 comments:

Peta said...

Looks like you've been pretty clever too.

Jill said...

Excellent, Kathryn! Thanks for sharing. :)

Kathryn Greenhill said...

Thanks Peta and Jill.

I think that we can actually teach our users to make their own CSEs, as well as making them for them. If, within 6 months, I have 3 students making their own - then I'll feel clever.